Saturday, August 20, 2011

A Random Moment Of Appreciation

I've been sitting around for days trying to figure out what to post about.  Then, tonight at the grocery store, it happened.  I had the moment. 

See, we took the kids out WAY too late, and they were tired when we left.  Of COURSE they were going to be moody when we got there.  (Common sense, right?)  But considering the time, they did VERY well.  We put the two girls together in one cart, and my son in another.  I pushed the girls, and Daddy pushed our son.  We were about half way through the shopping when my son started his screamthesamewordoverandoverandover thing.  It can get to me, I'm tellin' ya.  But since I know that he needs some special attention in these moments, I had my hubby take the girls, and I took him.
He screamed a few more times.  He was very clearly looking for a reaction.  So...I gave him one.

I leaned over him and I wrapped my arms around him and kissed the top of his head, then his nose.  I told him he sure had been being such a good boy, even though I know he was tired and bored.  I told him that it was nice that we were going to be able to spend some time together shopping while Daddy took the girls for a bit.

The look he gave me was one that I will carry in my heart forever.  He stopped yelling completely, wrapped his arms around my waist and said "I like you Mommy."

These children are my world.  My reason for being.  They aren't the children you see on tv that are perfectly well behaved every second.  They are REAL kids, acting like real kids.  They have moments that they test me.  (Some days more than others.)  But these children have changed me.  I have learned that it doesn't matter how they behave.  It's up to ME as the adult to decide how I'm going to react to them.  It's up to ME as the adult to choose what message I want to send to them.  And from every single experience I have with them I grow.  It has become very clear to me that these children have made me a better person than I ever could have been without them.  (It tears me up a little bit!)

So, my post today is about appreciation and learning life lessons from my own kids.  They are gifts, and should be treated as such.  I could not imagine my life without my kids, and wouldn't want my life any other way. 

I don't know how I'm ever going to be able to put into words exactly the feeling I have for these three little people.  "Love" isn't a strong enough word, and "thankful" is an understatement.  They are my heart. 

And though it might not be a big deal to some people, my son telling me that he "likes" me is just as important to me as when he says that he "loves" me.  I'm glad I'm someone he likes, and doesn't only love because I'm his mom.
Life will change...they'll grow up and move out...but I hope that no matter what, I can always be someone that they LIKE, as well as someone that they LOVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment