The challenge is to walk 10,000 steps in a day. Research shows that 10,000 is the number of steps you need to take to maintain a healthy, active lifestyle. Wear a pedometer or use a smartphone app to track how many steps you take in a day. Choose one day this week to try to walk 10,000 steps and mark yourself as the winner of this walking challenge if you achieve the goal!
Now, I don't personally have a step counter, and I assume I'm not the only person in the world without a smart phone that can track my steps, so I looked up how far you'd have to walk to take 10,000 steps.
"The average person's stride length is approximately 2.5 feet long. That means it takes just over 2,000 steps to walk one mile, and 10,000 steps is close to 5 miles." (The Walking Site.)
Here are some ideas I found online to help you find ways to reach your goal.
- Take a walk with your spouse, child, or friend
- Walk the dog
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator
- Park farther from the store
- Better yet, walk to the store
- Get up to change the channel
- Window shop
- Plan a walking meeting
- Walk over to visit a neighbor
- Get outside to walk around the garden or do a little weeding
- Break it down into three small walks (morning, afternoon, evening)