Monday, August 3, 2015

Challenge Monday. Get off your butt.

So this is the 2nd "Challenge Monday" I'm posting.  This one is to encourage you to get up, get outside, and get moving.  

The challenge is to walk 10,000 steps in a day. Research shows that 10,000 is the number of steps you need to take to maintain a healthy, active lifestyle. Wear a pedometer or use a smartphone app to track how many steps you take in a day. Choose one day this week to try to walk 10,000 steps and mark yourself as the winner of this walking challenge if you achieve the goal! 

Now, I don't personally have a step counter, and I assume I'm not the only person in the world without a smart phone that can track my steps, so I looked up how far you'd have to walk to take 10,000 steps.

"The average person's stride length is approximately 2.5 feet long. That means it takes just over 2,000 steps to walk one mile, and 10,000 steps is close to 5 miles."  (The Walking Site.)


Here are some ideas I found online to help you find ways to reach your goal.
  • Take a walk with your spouse, child, or friend
  • Walk the dog
  • Use the stairs instead of the elevator
  • Park farther from the store
  • Better yet, walk to the store
  • Get up to change the channel
  • Window shop
  • Plan a walking meeting
  • Walk over to visit a neighbor
  • Get outside to walk around the garden or do a little weeding
  • Break it down into three small walks (morning, afternoon, evening)
Being active, and working toward this healthy goal is a wonderful example for your children, friends, and even your spouse.  My kids LOVE going out for walks with me (which is good because I can't drive).  We take small mesh bags with us, and the kids fill them with the "treasures" they find along the way.  

If you take the challenge, be sure to post photos and comments along the way with your progress.  And don't forget to have fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment